AOG 2023 at the University of Kent, Canterbury
AOG 2023 in Canterbury * NOW SOLD OUT - secure a waitlist ticket*
Reserve your place at the Annual Outdoor Gathering 2023, which will take place this July based at the University of Kent on the outskirts of Canterbury.
Bookings for the Annual Outdoor Gathering 2023 are now open.
The AOG will be held from Friday 28th to Monday 31st July at the great, and leafy university campus, a 25minute stroll from the heart of historic Canterbury.
Canterbury is a tucked away part of the UK which we hope will surprise you with its variety of landscapes. There are many interesting towns to visit such as Whitstable, Deal, Faversham, Sandwich as well as the historic city of Canterbury.
Like Cornwall, Kent has coast around three sides, which gives us many varied coastal walks from the dramatic and iconic White Cliffs of Dover, through to the contrasting wilderness of the Romney Marshes and Dungeness, for example. The River Stour flows west to east through the area, and we have gentle river valleys and woodlands all within easy reach.
Kent also boasts the North Downs, with moderate climbs that lead up to spectacular views, some across to other counties and others to nearby France. As Kent is also The Garden of England, there are orchards, vineyards and hop fields to walk through, and oast houses to pass nearby. Additionally, we do occasionally walk on Kent’s islands and former islands, including Harty, Oxney, Sheppey and Thanet.
Kent has many historic sites including castles at Dover, Richborough and Walmer and stately homes at Godinton, Belmont and Goodneston, to name but a few.
Arrangements for our outdoor activities are well advanced, with a cycle ride and a wide range of walks on offer each day. In addition, on the Sunday, we are hoping to organise a trip on the historic Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway.
Full details of all the outdoor activities will be posted and linked here in May. Booking for these activities will open on 1st June.
Rooms are all located in Keynes College Q, P and R blocks, which is less than five minutes’ walk from Dolce Vita where we will be having our meals and entertainment, while the AGM will take place next to the Keynes College Reception.
The quality of the accommodation is excellent, and recently updated, Beds are available in full sized double and singles.
· wi-fi throughout all accommodation areas
· en-suite as standard for all rooms
· tea and coffee making facilities
· pre booked parking
· pre booked bike storage facilities for those in accommodation
We regret that in general, there will be no self-catering kitchens available, and so accommodation will be offered on a bed-and-breakfast basis only.
However, for those with specific allergy or dietary requirements, access to a kitchen can be arranged. If this applies to you, please let us know when you make your booking.
Anyone wishing to book further nights, this is not being handled by GOC. Please contact the university directly to book [email protected]
Entertainment and disco
Evening entertainment of disco and quiz will be in K bar and Dolce Vita available for our use on Saturday and Sunday.
There is a Co-op store on campus open from 7.00am until midnight six days a week, closing at 6.00pm on Sundays.
Bookings for accommodation, meals and disco
When making your booking please:
· Book your place first! This is especially important when booking for more than one person, as it ensures that all the names are shown on the list of attendees.
· Remember to give the names of all the people for whom you are booking
· Specify any special dietary requirements you may have
· Specify your car registration number if you wish to park on the campus (if you do not know this at the time of your booking, please contact the event organiser, Aaron Speed, through the AOG event page once you do).
Policy on cancellations
· by 2nd June – full refund minus charge of £5 per person per night
· after 2nd June – no refund unless we can resell your place.
Evening meals and packed lunches
· by 2nd June – full refund minus charge of £2 per meal.
· after 2nd June – no refund.
Disco (if booked separately by those not having the Saturday evening meal):
· by 2nd June – full refund minus charge of £2 per person
· after 2nd June – no refund.
Please note that attendees who do not return their room keys when checking out will be charged £30 plus VAT. GOC will also charge attendees for any damage or unusual cleaning resulting from the actions of those attendees, where the university has charged GOC for this.
Camping and Caravaning
For those wishing to camp of bring campervans, please note this is not permitted on university grounds, we are recommending local campsite The Barn
Ready for another adventure?
From hoodies and t-shirts to bags, bottles and bears - show your love for GOC with our gear from Spreadshirt.