Coronavirus / Covid-19
Following recent changes in government advice regarding Covid-19 to avoid all non-essential travel and maintain social distancing, all walks and other activities are cancelled until further notice.
We will continue to review the situation in line with guidance issued by the government. Further information can be found here, and will be udpated in due course.
A circular walk of 12.2 miles, following the Hitchin Outer Orbital Path.
- the River Oughton and Oughton Head (Spring);
- Oughtonhead Common;
- St Mary's Church in Hitchin;
- Charlton hamlet;
- the River Hiz;
- Ippollitts Brook;
- Purwell Ninesprings nature reserve;
- views from the edge of Letchworth westbound to the Chiltern Hills'
- a few semi-posh houses (and a fair few unposh ones, too);
- an unexpected work of modern art;
- a railway;
- a section of the Letchworth Garden City Greenway;
- and the Icknield Way Trail.
Half the route is on hardstanding/pavement, half the route is on track (mainly grass track).
Elevation ranges from 50m to 97m, with a number of steep inclines (max ~ 11%).
Bring packed lunch, plenty of water and something to sit on. Wear sturdy boots or trainers. Expect some mud.
Optional pub stop at end. For those who want to end the day with a pub meal, the kitchen opens at 6pm.
Terrain / Difficulty
Half on hardstanding/pavement, half on grass track, some inclines.