Our Groups are up and running with their activities. From the 1st of May we will no longer require advanced booking for most events. Events may still require advanced booking if it is necessary to place a limit on the number of attendees based on the event's risk assessment, or other factors.
For the walk towards Birmingham the narrowboat Cecilia will stay just behind us enabling anyone who wants to take a break from walking to get on or off as they wish. Cecilia will also be there for comfort breaks as required and to carry rucksacks, allowing you to enjoy a day out and do as little or as much walking as you want.
The route is varied, winding through countryside initially, then through the Wast Hills Tunnel and on towards Birmingham through a surprisingly green section by the University. Depending on congestion at Gas Street Basin on the day it may be necessary to turn Cecilia before reaching the centre of the city.
The journey through the Wast Hills Tunnel can take around an hour from start to finish. If you wish to avoid travelling through the tunnel you will need to follow the path over the top of the canal which will be leader led. The path over the hill is around 1.8 miles with an ascent 126 feet – each way.
For the return from Birmingham Cecilia will progress with all walkers on board and is offering herself for steering practice along the way, should you wish to have a go. The same option applies for the tunnel section as on the outward journey.
Cecilia carries a maximum of 12 passengers in addition to a crew of 3 and has an on-board tea and coffee maker. All crew are qualified and IWA Certified and Cecilia carries all necessary insurance and safety certificates. A full safety briefing will be given before the trip begins.
Once you have made a booking I will message you regarding arrangements to pay for your ticket. Please be aware of the following conditions -
Booking Instructions and Conditions
- 12 places aboard Cecilia are available at a cost of £10 per member which includes outward and inward segments.
- Payment in full of the £10 per person is required by Sunday 15th May 2022 please.
- Cancellation: If you cancel your booking prior to and including the 15th May a full refund will be given.
- Cancellation: If you cancel your booking between 16th May - 27th May inclusive – a full refund will be given if your place is resold.
- Cancellation: If you cancel from the 28th May onwards – No refund will be be given.
- Cancellation: If the named Canal Society cancel the event a full refund will be given.
Terrain / Difficulty
Canal towpaths apart from one stretch when it's your choice to either stay aboard the boat through the canal tunnel or follow the footpath above.