GOC Inclusion and Diversity (I&D) Statement and Policy
Approved by the GOC Board – April 9, 2022
GOC Strategic Statement on Inclusion and Diversity (I&D)
GOC is for everyone in the LGBTQI+* community who want to enjoy outdoor activities.
*LGBTQI+ refers to people that identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning, and intersex. The + refers to an inclusive term for people who do not feel that they fit into traditional categories of sexuality or gender such as asexual, aromatic, pansexual. See also this helpful explanation in the Evening Standard.
All GOC members commit to developing a culture that encourages and supports difference and recognises the value that comes from an inclusive and diverse LGBTQI+ community.
To help achieve our goals the GOC will:
- Provide training and support for all GOC Board members, Group Coordinators, and ordinary members to raise awareness of I&D. We will strive to provide this training online over a period of two years from April, 2022.
- Develop and support plans to increase diversity year on year within the GOC Board, Group Coordinators, and our ordinary members.
- Support all plans to increase diversity within our membership through activities and initiatives that actively promote I&D.
- Appoint an I&D Officer within the board. The I&D Officer will ensure continued focus on the topic and advise and support members and future members.
- Take positive action to encourage and promote events that enable greater inclusion of underrepresented sections of the LGBTQI+ community.
- Monitor our progress by setting out key I&D indicators which will be reviewed by the GOC Board every six months.
- The GOC board will review this policy every two years.
We recognise we have work to do to achieve greater I&D and this policy is the first step towards a more diverse and inclusive GOC.