The main topic of conversation during the walk, was how many walkers started, many thinking it was 14 when in fact 13 started and finished.
We left the car park at Trenchford Reservoir and headed along its bank, over the dam and towards Tottiford Reservoir. We continued until our path headed up through a pine forest then onto tracks, lanes and fields before we stopped at the base of the dam at Kennick Reservoir for our lunch stop. Refreshed, we walked Tottiford Reservoir and enjoyed the novelty of the lack of water after the LONG summer. Our walk was soon over and we returned to our cars and all headed to Bovey Tracey for very welcome drinks and cakes at the café at the Devon Guild of Craftsmen.
We encountered a Quaker Cemetery on the walk, see photo.
Dymond, F. W., 1899, Untitled Source(Monograph). SDV347642.
Record of Quaker meetings at Clampitt Farm, in the farmhouse kitchen for around 70 years. Elias Tuckett (or ‘Elies Tockett’) was the first to be buried in the Clampitt graveyard on 03/09/1687. Many burials were recorded here and the graveyard was enclosed with fences and separated from the adjacent land but never legally transferred to the Friends or claimed as their own. The last registered burial here was in 1732 but it is quite possible that many interments were never registered.
William Addems, recently owner of Clampitt identified the location of the grave yard, in a corner of one of the fields which on the Ordnance Survey map (edition unknown) is marked with number 28. Apparently the fence had become most dilapidated and was removed completely around 50 years previously. Addems had seen at least 20 graves uncovered by workmen a few years previously.