search bars close map-marker arrow-right tags twitter facebook

Saturday afternoon walk at Gwynfe followed by evening social and Sunday walk at Gwaun Cae Gurwen

Two years ago Colin and John arranged a short walk in their village followed by a social in their village hall which was a huge success.

They promised a repeat 2 years later and true to their word put in a lot of hard work again to ensure a repeat performance.

This time the walk was a longer one of over 6 miles. 11 people assembled for the walk on a scorchingly hot, humid and airless day. We set off along the local country lanes and onto a lovely green path.

The views were magnificent, particularly of the surrounding hills and mountains.

At one stage the people in front got a bit ahead of the rest of us just as a very large herd of cows stampeded between us, luckily with no casualties.

We continued to the lane where because of the overpowering heat Gail and I decided to duck out and go back to the b and b where we were staying that night to cool down.

The fact the England World cup football match was on television had no bearing whatsoever!!!

The rest of the happy band continued on the walk. Colin and John told us we would be missing the best part of the walk with a castle and river and lots of greenery--see photo's kindly taken by Bill in my absence.

The hot and tired group eventually returned to the village hall later than expected because they had rightly stopped frequently and rested in the immense heat.

People were assembling for the evening social with arms full of food and drink.

When the walkers returned, the evening celebrations were officially opened and the eating and drinking commenced with people socialising with friends old and new, including some we hadn't seen for a while.

Soon it was time for Colin's infamous quiz, and as all good double acts, he was ably assisted John.

The entertainment continued with a group singalong to the karaoke, before a few brave members did  their own solo/duet/group singalongs.

All too soon it seemed, the evening had rushed on and it was time to clear up.

Many thanks to everyone who stayed to help leaving the hall clean and tidy. 

This event had been paid for by the "£50 reward" we won last year for putting our group event details timeously on the GOC website.

It was a great way to spend it, on such an enjoyable event.

The following day 8 people gathered at Gwaun Cae Gurwen for the walk there.

We started by viewing the trotting track where horse and cart races still take place.

We then managed to keep in the shade through a few fields and passed a cemetary with war graves and where the church had sadly burnt down.

We then made our way down to the centre of Gwaun Cae Gurwen crossing the main road and along a long track to an old house and then started to climb up giving us great views back down and over the whole of the smaller nearby villages.

On the top we were on the walking trail, St Illtyd's Way, and made our way towards several wind turbines.We were so close we could have hugged one or two or three!!

We had lunch on the top before making our way back down, onto a lane and then a lovely green path to two beautifully made viaducts and waterfalls.

Next we were back in the main street and the ice cream shop beckoned.

Most of us cooled down with a Magnum--other ice creams available!!!--before the last bit back via the other side of the trotting track and back to the cars.

This had  been such a lovely weekend.

It was great to see so many people join in and contribute to an enjoyable time.

Many thanks to Colin and John for all their preparation and hard work on putting together the walk and to Bill for taking some really lovely photo's.

Look out for this event on the calendar again in 2 years time unless someone wants to offer a similar social before then, somewhere near them??!!






Related posts

Join Now…