Fourteen souls and the walk leader gathered in the Much Wenlock Priory car park to begin this circular walk, a reduction by half from the intended group because of the threatening weather. We set off in rain but soon were rewarded with dry weather for the remainder. It was a fairly easy, 6 mile walk across fields and pasture, through woodland and along some quiet lanes. Some of the route was across arable fields which, fortunately, had been harvested and so we were spared the discomfort of walking thorough sodden waist-high wheat fields, or worse, head-height oil seed rape. The walk was successfully completed by 1pm without mishap, except for one minor directional error on the part of the leader (which was quickly rectified!).
Half the group repaired to a delightful old coaching inn for lunch. Others chose a non-alcoholic option. A few intellectuals visited the Priory which is an English Heritage site; there has been an abbey or monastery on the site since the 7th century and the current remains are 12th century. After lunch, some explored the pretty old town of Much Wenlock. The well-preserved, 16th century black-and-white timbered Guildhall was open with free access to the old court room and council chamber. Here we were able to view displays of the history of the town. Behind the Guildhall, on Church Green, are the graves of the Brookes family; Dr William Penny Brookes was the founding father of the Olympic Games. He began the Much Wenlock Olympian Games in 1850. Hence, the naming of the London 2012 games mascot as Wenlock.