Radford Park is situated in Plymstock, Plymouth. It was originally the country park that surrounded Radford House which stood in one form or another from the 14th century till it was demolished in 1937.
Eleven of us gathered at the Gatehouse to Radford Park. The walk then took us through the park to Radford Lake and then around Hooe Lake which connects to the sea and was recently spectacle to 4 dolphins playing in the morning sunshine.
There was plenty of mud and puddles to negotiate along the way while one member was accosted by a bramble hanging down!
Next came Turnchapel where members could admire very clear views of the marine activity, The Hoe and Citadel, and Plymouth city stretching back to the tors of Dartmoor.
A short climb took us to the old fort of Stamford, which is now home to apartments and a country club, and then on to our lunch break on plentiful park benches overlooking Mount Batten boat yard and Plymouth Sound.
After lunch we descended into Mount Batten where 8 of us walked out onto the long jetty and viewed the scenery from a different aspect, while 3 members took a welcome coffee break in the Hotel Mount Batten.
On our return walk we all stopped for coffee and cakes at the Guard Room. The final part of the walk included looking around the ruins of the Estate cottages perched on the edge of Radford Lake.